U.S. markets closed
  • S&P 500

    +40.81 (+0.80%)
  • Dow 30

    +90.99 (+0.23%)
  • Nasdaq

    +183.02 (+1.14%)
  • Russell 2000

    +21.55 (+1.05%)
  • Crude Oil

    +1.55 (+1.98%)
  • Gold

    +36.90 (+1.80%)
  • Silver

    +0.58 (+2.58%)

    +0.0032 (+0.29%)
  • 10-Yr Bond

    -0.0720 (-1.69%)

    +0.0029 (+0.23%)

    +0.0800 (+0.05%)
  • Bitcoin USD

    -340.05 (-0.54%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    0.00 (0.00%)
  • FTSE 100

    +52.48 (+0.69%)
  • Nikkei 225

    +744.63 (+1.90%)

How Index Options Offer Potential Tax Savings In The Options Trading World

CHICAGO, IL / ACCESSWIRE / November 14, 2023 / Cboe Global Markets' (BATS:CBOE) Index options have witnessed a remarkable transformation over the years, with them now being accessible to both institutional and retail traders. These derivative instruments allow you to speculate on the market's direction, hedge against downside risks and generate income. While they offer a plethora of benefits, there's one particular advantage that stands out - 60/40 tax treatment. In this article, we'll delve into the world of index options, shedding light on this unique tax benefit and exploring what you need to know before you embark on your index options trading journey.

Understanding Index Options: A Brief Overview

Index options provide traders with the opportunity to make directional trades on entire markets, whether their outlook be bullish, bearish or neutral. For instance, the S&P 500 Index, comprising 500 major U.S. companies, offers a holistic view of the U.S. stock market. Whether you anticipate market growth or a decline, index options on the S&P 500 or other indices provide a powerful tool to express your views.

The Distinctive Advantage: Cash Settlement And 60/40 Tax Treatment

One standout feature of index options is cash settlement. This means that your trading profits and losses are settled directly into your trading account as credits or debits. Unlike equity or ETF options, you won't encounter the complexities of delivering or receiving securities.

But possibly the most significant advantage that index options offer is the 60/40 tax treatment. These contracts are categorized as 1256 contracts, which translates to 60% of your profits being treated as long-term capital gains, while the remaining 40% is considered short-term capital gains. What's remarkable about this tax treatment is that it applies regardless of how long you hold the position.

In contrast, equity and ETF options are subject to the standard tax rates for short-term and long-term capital gains, contingent on the duration of your position and your income level.

Tax Savings In Practice: A Hypothetical Example

To illustrate the tax savings potential, consider two investors, Investor A and Investor B, both of whom made $15,000 in options trading profits. They are both in the 35% tax bracket and filing jointly, with a long-term capital gains tax rate of 20%.

  • Investor A, trading index options with the 60/40 tax treatment, incurs a total tax of $3,900, resulting in after-tax profits of $11,100.

  • Investor B, trading ETF options, faces a tax bill of $5,250, leaving after-tax profits at $9,750.

The key takeaway here is that Investor A, enjoying the 60/40 tax rate, benefits from a potential tax savings of $1,350.

A Valuable Tax Benefit In Index Options Trading

Index options offer traders a unique opportunity to benefit from cash settlement and, most notably 60/40 tax treatment. This tax advantage can translate into significant savings for traders, making index options an attractive asset for your trading portfolio.

However, it's vital to grasp the complexities of index options trading, stay vigilant about profit-taking and be prepared for any unforeseen market developments - a savvy index options trader maximizes their tax advantages while carefully navigating the ever-evolving financial markets.

To learn more about the benefits of Index Options, click here.

Featured photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash.

Under section 1256 of the Tax Code, profit and loss on transactions in certain exchange-traded options and futures are entitled to be taxed at a rate equal to 60% long-term and 40% short-term capital gain or loss, provided that the market participants involved and the strategy employed satisfy the criteria of the Tax Code. Market participants should consult with their tax advisors to determine how the profit and loss on any particular option or futures strategy will be taxed. Tax laws and regulations change from time to time and may be subject to varying interpretations.

Michele Ormont

SOURCE: Cboe Global Markets, Inc.

View source version on