- PlayStation is launching a miniature version of its original PlayStation console in December.
- The PlayStation Classic will be about 45% smaller than its original counterpart.
- It will come with 20 classic games pre-loaded, including "Final Fantasy VII" and "Tekken 3."
PlayStation just hit the nostalgia button — big time.
Sony is launching a miniature version of the original 1994 PlayStation console, called PlayStation Classic.
The Classic will be about 45% smaller than the original PlayStation, and come with 20 games pre-loaded.
Confirmed titles include "Final Fantasy VII," "Jumping Flash," "Ridge Racer Type 4," "Tekken 3," and "Wild Arms." PlayStation was unable to confirm any more when contacted by Business Insider.
Gamers on Twitter are already speculating on the rest of the lineup.
What will be the most high profile games NOT to appear on the #PlayStationClassic? So many great games on the original but only 20 will make it on... pic.twitter.com/R3ThutGYh9
Some fans also noted that the controllers included in the PlayStation Classic are also original, i.e. not Dualshock controllers with analogue sticks.
So one potential "yikes" I'm seeing with the #PlayStationClassic already is the fact that the controller ain't the DualShock version (with the analog sticks). RIP games that need the analog stick, I guess. But hey, #MegaMan Legends 1 might make it. https://t.co/ey0b41zOtY Tweet Embed:
No Dualshock? Nor a home button to go back to the menu? Way to one up Nintendo guys. You didn't have the decency to even confirm the entire lineup either huh? #PlayStationClassichttps://t.co/HRO16XKZXS
The announcement of PlayStation's nostalgia-stoking launch comes a year after Nintendo released a miniature version of its Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), called the "Classic Edition."
The dinky PlayStation will be available for purchase for $99.99, or £89.99 in the UK, on 3 December.
You can watch PlayStation's trailer for the PlayStation classic here:
NOW WATCH: Apple's entire iPhone XS event in 8 minutes
- Here are the 16 biggest video games launching this fall, from an all-new ‘Fallout’ to the hotly-anticipated ‘Red Dead Redemption 2'
- I'm blown away by the virtual New York City of 'Spider-Man' on PlayStation 4 — here's how it compares to the real thing
- These are the top 10 NBA players this season, according to the new 'NBA 2K19' video game